Since November 2019, Solar Citizens has been working across Queensland to build support for renewable energy and secure commitments from the Queensland gover...
Build support for renewable energy in Townsville
FIELD OF INTEREST
- Environment conservation & climate change
- General population
- Flora / fauna
Since November 2019, Solar Citizens has been working across Queensland to build support for renewable energy and secure commitments from the Queensland government that will drive the energy transition.
Townsville is the largest regional centre in Queensland, is crucial in both State and Federal elections and has been a focus for Solar Citizens’ Queensland campaign efforts. The upcoming Federal election is a unique opportunity to escalate this work and achieve policy commitments from both Queensland and Federal governments, including to develop the North Queensland Renewable Energy Zone.
While Townsville will benefit from the development of this Renewable Energy Zone in the form of local renewable energy jobs, and a cheap source of power for new renewable energy industries, theRenewable Energy Zone is not proceeding quickly, and needs further local support to drive ambition.
Hiring a local organiser will help build this support amongst grassroots community members and leaders.
Solar Citizens’ have been offered a donation of $50,000 if they are able to raise the remaining $50,000 needed for this Townsville-focused work. Reichstein Foundation has contributed $10,000 towards this $50,000 goal.
We’ll work to create political space for both the State and Federal governments to hasten the energy transition by demonstrating to decision makers that there’s strong regional community support for more renewable energy jobs and investment. Our campaign will position the positive opportunities of the clean energy transition as a key election issue.
In Townsville, we will achieve this by hiring a local organiser to grow our on-the-ground supporter base, hold community events and actions, and run a shop front in the centre of town. Some of the key tactics that we’ll deploy include:
• Building a local coalition calling for Federal and State funding to support the North
Queensland Renewable Energy Zone and the Townsville Renewable Energy Industry
• Hosting a Townsville Clean Energy Summit alongside the Smart Energy Council where Queensland Energy Minister Mick de Brenni is invited as a keynote speaker as well as local renewable champions and business leaders.
• Re-opening our shopfront in the centre of Townsville - an organiser is crucial for this project.
• Grassroots community engagement through stalls and shopfront events that will grow our local support base.
• Holding community events at our shopfront in the Townsville CBD to skill up volunteers and grow our supporter base.
• Outdoor and online advertising with a positive renewable energy message.
• Working with the Climate Media Centre on a tour for journalists covering the Federal
Election in Queensland
Everyday Aussies are leading the renewable revolution—rooftop by rooftop—to cut bills, take energy generation back into our own hands, and create a healthier, better life for everyone.
Solar Citizens is an independent, community-based organisation bringing together millions of solar owners and supporters to take the next step and keep growing renewables in Australia.
Together, we take action to protect the rights of Australia’s 2 and a half million solar homes and businesses, and pursue the largest opportunities for a fast and fair transition to clean, renewable energy.
TOTAL BUDGET: $10,000
|Funding gap (unconfirmed)||$40,000|
|Organiser wages + super||$88,000|
|Contribution to tactical budget||$7,000|
Support Build support for renewable energy in Townsville
Got a question about this project or ready to contribute? Contact our Philanthropy & Impact Team.
DOES YOUR PROJECT NEED FUNDING TOO?
As a broker of change, we invite social change initiatives to apply for funding. Eligible proposals are shared with our giving community via our Granting Opportunities directory.